Yesterday was a rough day. Maybe because I've been listening to Josh Groban over and over again. Maybe I just needed a day to let it all out. I think I teared up everytime I saw Blaine's name yesterday, which is a challenge since the bathroom is the only room in my place that doesn't have Blaine's name somewhere in it! And then I really started sobbing. The ugly cry. You all know what I mean. I was cleaning off the rocking chair and putting all of Caleb's things on it so I could see everything together. And then I sat on the edge of my bed looking at it and I just broke. All I could think was "what am I going to do with all of this stuff if he dies?" I couldn't get that thought out of my head and I just sat there crying. And then I looked up at my dresser where Blaine's memory box sits along with the box of his remaining ashes and that made it worse. I haven't cried that much since I had that mucuos plug scare in December. Today I am a little more composed but still a little weepy. I'm glad I have today off of work because I know stress and me would not go well today.
Yesterday we were out for a walk and Abby asked me out of the blue "why don't we go to the graveyard to visit Blaine?" She, at 5, knows all about graveyards since we went to one for the Dove release in September. I explained to her that some people bury bodies in the graveyard but some people choose to turn the bodies into ashes instead. I told her Blaine's ashes were at home in the green velvet bag and some in the necklace I wear. She of course wants to see them now. I keep putting it off but Abby has the memory of an elephant. The other day she tore her room apart looking for a necklace she lost when she was 3! She doesn't forget. She mentioned it again this morning, "when can I see Blaine's sand?" "I want to see him." I talked to hubby and we don't really see an issue with showing it to her. I just keep thinking when is it going to be too much for her? When do the nightmares come? When will it just be too much for her little heart to handle? But she continues to surprise me. She is just so matter of fact about it. She says she is so lucky because she has her own angel. She said to me this morning "you have three kids now Momma." Why is it that 5 year olds are so wise? Many adults we all know choose to ignore the kids who aren't physically here. They'll say they have 2 grandkids instead of 3 because explaining one died is just too uncomfortable. But 5 year olds have no problem with it at all. If you were to ask her she'd say she has two brothers. One in Heaven and one in Momma.
Out of the mouth of babes right? Never ceasing to amaze me.
5 comments:
Huge huge hugs honey. I just wanted you to know that children are tougher then they appear. Mine were 17 months and 3 when Calypso died. They held their baby sister. They are now 5 and 7 and regularly visit the graveyard with us and have seen Calypso's remaining ashes. They are ok. They are normal.
Your Abby has an experience a lot of kids growing up don't. She understands (to an extent) death. I had a friend who's mother hid EVERYTHING from her. Even 9/11 and she has way more adjustment problems the kids who grew up knowing about death do
Huge hugs to you today! Kids are amazing sometimes and sometimes I think adults could learn a lesson or two from them! It's sweet that she is asking about Blaine. It will help everyone. It's terrible that someone as young as she is knows to even ask about that kind of stuff, but at the same time, it's really comforting too. XO
A big hug to you!!! I know the "ugly" crying, and I know the hard days. You are not alone.
Abby sounds amazing. I love the innocence, truth, and matter-of-factness that young ones display. And they can keep moving through their day without the worry that adults carry thinking - did I say the right thing? do the right thing?, etc. so very refreshing!
Thank you for all your support on my rough days last week w/ that mommas group I attempted to attend. It helped a lot!
Much love to you at this tender time.
Sending you huge hugs! I'm sorry that you had such a tough day and I hope that today was better. Abby never ceases to amaze me.
((hugs)) your daughter is amazing. i love that she is so proud to share her brother. the ugly cry... i know it well. sometimes, it just has to get out. hope you have had better days.
Post a Comment