Sunday, January 23, 2011

for one more day

Yesterday I read the book "for one more day" by Mitch Albom. Yes, I'm a fast reader. I had no idea what it was about I just picked it up at the library. I am not a big fan of the library. I feel kind of ghetto borrowing books. And it's like a flea market, if you don't know exactly what you want you have to wander around. I saw this book though and I had read one of his others so thought I'd grab it. Turns out it is about a man who loses his mother, his life goes on a downward spiral, he tries to kill himself and then inexplicably wakes up to find that he has one day to spend with his mother. A do over day I guess. It was a really nice little book and had some good quotes and thoughts in it. I'll share a couple here at the risk of breaking copyright laws!

"You can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back."

"But she loved me. She really did. She loved me falling off a swing set. She loved me stepping on her floors with muddy shoes. She loved me through vomit and snot and bloody knees. She loved me coming and going, at my worst and at my best. She had a bottomless well of love for me."

"But there's a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking. But behind all your stories is always your mother's story, because hers is where yours begins."

Those are the three that stuck with me the most. I've never really looked at the mother/son relationship from the perspective of the son before.

I don't really have a purpose to this post. Just wanted to share those thoughts.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Thank you for sharing those quotes. They brought tears to my eyes!