Monday, August 2, 2010

An Answered Prayer

After we had Blaine we made the very wrong decision not to spend any time with him or take photos with him. We were in such shock and couldn't deal with holding our dead baby. Since he was not yet 20 weeks we were not obligated to have a funeral or service. We decided at the time that the best thing for us to do was to walk away. I let the doctors take him and I have regretted this decision since I got home from the hospital. I feel like a horrible mother. I just left him and walked away. I didn't even know what the hospital did with his body. I have assumed for the past 16 weeks that they would have disposed of him like medical waste. I know that sounds harsh. I have been in touch with a wonderful woman from a Bereavement group we go to. We were hoping the hospital had taken a photo or an ultrasound photo and kept it in my file. She was able to get in touch with the hospital on our behalf. Blaine is still there!! He is in the laboratory at the hospital and has been since birth. We can now have him picked up by a funeral home and we can do a proper service for him. I actually cried tears of joy when I read the email. "Blaine is still with us." This is an answered prayer. I have been praying for some peace from the guilt, for a way to honour my son and God answered me. We will be getting in touch with the funeral home this week and having him cremated. My husband came up with the wonderful idea of me getting a pendant to carry his ashes in on my necklace. And the rest we will get a small jar for and have with his candle holder and painting. I feel so relieved and I already feel like some of the guilt is being shed. I can finally give my son the goodbye he deserves.

9 comments:

Jill said...

It is extremely difficult to make any decisions after such a heartbreaking loss. I wish we did many things differently. Only if I knew then what I know now. SO happy that your boy is coming home and that you can have another goodbye. xo

Julie said...

it is so easy to regret the decisions we made while we were in the midst of the worst shock and pain that any of us are likely to ever experience. we all have regrets, and i hope you won't be too hard on yourself.

that said, i am SO relieved for you that blaine is still there, and that you can lay him to rest in a way that will give you some peace.

sending you hugs...

Danae said...

Elaine - I am so "happy" (maybe not the exact word I am looking for, but I think you know what I mean) that you are going to be able to pick Blaine up and have him cremated. I know that regret has been with you, and now maybe you can be at peace with this piece of it.

Hugs my friend!!

Angela said...

Tears came to my eyes when I was reading this, Elaine. I am so glad your Blaine is going to come home with you. He was there all this time, waiting for you to be ready.

Dana said...

I am so happy that you get this chance! It is so shocking when you suddenly lose your baby that it is hard to make decisions. It really seems like God was looking out for you here :)

Jen said...

Elaine- I am so glad you now have this opportunity. Reading this post reminded me of what we went through. I also did not know my daughter was still at the hospital. We were also able to have her cremated. I had wished I had know to ask for certain things sooner...

I hope and pray that this is peace giving for you and your family. I am praising God for your answered prayer:)

Jen

Alissa said...

Praying this this answered prayer gives you some peace... You deserve it. The necklace is a beautiful way to honor your little boy.

Andrea said...

There are so many things I regret, but I'm slowly learning to be happy for things I have to remember Oliver. It is so hard making all of those decisions when you are in shock. I'm so happy you got the chance to bring him home.

Anonymous said...

OMG Elaine! I burst into tears when I read this! I am so overwhelmed and thrilled that you get to bring Blaine home. That is just incredible. Thank God!!!!!!

Sarah xoxo