Friday, April 15, 2011

Life Lessons

I have learnt so many things this past year. Namely the following, in no particular order, please bare with the obvious sarcasm in some points.
1. Your body has an endless supply of tears and snot.


2. Strangers are sometimes the kindest friends.


3. It is possible to feel an immense amount of joy and an immense amount of pain at the exact same moment.


4. I can survive, the question has always been more like "do I want to?"


5. It is possible to love a human being so small they can fit in the palm of your hand.


6. Logic cannot exist in the same moment as grief.


7. The approximate time for others to grieve and move past the death of your child is one week. After that you are on your own.


8. God is good and loving, even when you hate him.


9. Guilt is a disease and needs to be treated like one.


10. You will feel an immense amount of pride and love at the simplest of things, like seeing your child's name written out by a stranger. (see point 2)


11. There are few things better in life than receiving "Blaine Mail." It never even makes it to the elevator before it's ripped open.


12. My husband has endless amounts of patience and doesn't mind if his shirts are soaked in tears.


13. My daughter is a one of the kindest souls I have ever known.


14. Having post partum depression but no baby at home isn't worth it.


15. There are far far too many dead babies in the world.


That's what I can think of for now. Of course, I have learnt so much about human behaviour and about myself. I've always been very observant of people and can always read people within minutes of meeting them. The one thing that has surprised me throughout this journey is the true sisterhood of the BLM. I've always been very skeptical of the internet and people who find friendships and love online. That all changed when I started looking for answers back in May 2010. The internet really became my go to guide on loss and healing. I guess the number one thing I learnt this year is that angels exist where you least expect them and God truly does work in mysterious ways.

7 comments:

Julie said...

you are a very wise woman, elaine! #8 is the one with which i still have the most trouble. as for finding love and friendship online, i met my husband online (sort of... long story), so i didn't doubt it!

AnnaBelle said...

So many of these had me nodding in agreement. Simultaneous joy and pain was so confusing for a long time - I had no idea how I "felt"! It's such a relief to finally accept that you can be so happy and so sad at the very same time.

(((hugs)))

Dana said...

wow, I love this. I agreed with every statement. I think I have to post something about this list on my blog....

Melissa said...

Absolutely beautiful and true in every way Elaine! I too have been surprised and so thankful for the friendships I have found through our blogs.

Danae said...

Every single bit of your list is so incredibly true.

*Lauren* said...

I saw a link to your list on Dana's blog, and it all is so true! Thanks for posting it! I am so very sorry for the loss of your son, Blaine. Take care.

My New Normal said...

So true, especially the one about the tears and snot. That one made me laugh out loud.