Thursday, November 11, 2010

I am a Woman of Winter

THE MOURNERS DIDN’T CAUSE HIM TO STOP. Nor did the large crowd, or even the body of the dead man on the stretcher. It was the woman—the look on her face and the redness in her eyes. He knew immediately what was happening. It was her son who was being carried out, her only son. And if anyone knows the pain that comes from losing your only son, God does…. (Luke 7:11-17)

This is an excerpt from Max Lucado's "God Came Near." I receive weekly emails from his website and each week is a different topic/excerpt. This one was a real aha moment. I find even when you think something to actually see someone write it down makes it more convincing. Yes He does understand because He lost his son too.
I remember years ago watching "The Passion of the Christ" and this was before I even had kids. I felt so horrible for Mary. Watching what her son went through. I remember the scene where He is carrying the cross and she flashes back to when He was a boy and fell and skinned his knee. She rushes to him just like any other mother would, crying out his name.
The story of Jesus is so well known and yet we still forget these details. The details of his parents and what they lost. I wonder if years from now people will forget what I have lost. I'm not even half as famous! My story has not been read by billions. I do not have a spec of the importance that they have. I'm just a woman of winter. Getting along without my only son. Years from now if one of my nieces loses a baby or a friends daughter and I mention Blaine will they say "oh I forgot you had lost a baby too." Will they be surprised because I seem so strong and put together. Or will I still be this sad Mother? Will I be able to keep him alive in me for the rest of my time on Earth? Will I make sure my story always includes him? I know I am changed forever but by how much? Time does make things easier and with time I will forget certain details. I will forget how dark those first months were. Winter will become Spring and Spring will become Summer. How will I keep him alive so that everyone who comes after will know that he was here?

No comments: