I thought I'd just quickly check my email. I never check my email when I'm at my parents house but it had been a couple of days, I just had my coffee and Abby was playing contentedly. A quick email check. I opened my email and the first one I noticed was from a name I didn't recognize and the subject line was simply "Blaine." I figured it was another BLM who was sending me a surprise name photo. I opened it and started to read and then 5 little words popped out at me "Blaine is still with us." I reread that line over and over. How can this be?
Backtrack for those of you who have not read our story. When Blaine was born we walked away without him. Because of baby killing laws in my country you don't have to make funeral arrangements for babies born under 20 weeks. With me being in shock I had no idea what to do so we just left him at the hospital. I regretted this decision immediately. I spent the next few months desperate. What happened to him? Where was his body? Every time I looked at the smoke stack that sticks up from the hospital I wondered if he had been burned with the medical waste.
I got in touch with a woman named Cyndi from a local bereavement group. She did her best to try to get me any information, an u/s photo, photo of his body, anything. And then, like manna from Heaven, my own personal miracle came in the form of an email, from a nurse at the hospital. Forget the parting of the red seas, this was bigger than walking on water or turning water into wine. For an "unexplained" reason Blaine had been embalmed in a jar in the lab at the hospital and then forgotten about. 4 months later he was still there. Yes, if you were wondering, babies under 20 weeks who are not taken home are disposed of with the medical waste. Not at the hospital, they are taken off site. I found this out after I had him back. This unfortunately happened to a family I met in the bereavement group. But Blaine had been "missed."
These 5 words probably saved my sanity. I have no idea where I would be mentally right now if I had found out he had been disposed of with someone's infected liver. I have to credit Cyndi who worked so hard to help me and then Shelly at the hospital who found him and contacted me. The funeral home was amazing, so caring and compassionate. I had to make all of the arrangements myself, the funeral home manager was the one who came with me and stood beside me as I viewed Blaine's little body in his beautiful white casket.
My husband, Cyndi, Shelly and the funeral home manager all tried to figure out why Blaine was still there. Not that any of us were complaining but what happened? I didn't care. I, like Tebow, am not afraid to bend a knee. I know whose work this was. God kept Blaine there at the hospital until I was ready to meet him. He knew his plans for me, not to hurt me but to make me prosper. (Jeremiah 29:11) He knew as I stood looking at the little body that seemed to have just fallen from my womb that one day I would need this. That one day returning my son to me would return his daughter to Him.
3 comments:
That is just beautiful. Wow what a gift! So happy you got that kind of closure, and just when you needed it.
It was just so amazing that that happened. I am so glad that it did.
wow this gives me chills! So beautiful, especially that last line you wrote. God is so good! What a gift in having this. Thank you for sharing. Much love and hugs. <3
Post a Comment