Monday, March 26, 2012

Birthday Celebrations

"If you ever leave me, baby,
Leave some morphine at my door
Cause it would take a whole lot of medication
To realize what we used to have,
We don't have it anymore."  It Will Rain by Bruno Mars

It's starting again.  The time when I can't hear or see anything that doesn't remind me of Blaine.  Two weeks from this Friday and we will be at 2 years.  2 years.  I remember how slow that first year went.  I thought life would never move on, that I would be stuck there forever.  The second year has moved much faster.  And I have had so much joy and happiness in it.  I still cry but not everyday.  I still wonder why.  I haven't had any moments of rage lately.  Today sort of but it was fleeting.  It's hard to be sad around Caleb.  I started crying today listening to this song and to another but Caleb immediately came over and smothered me with kisses.  I am healed in so many ways. 

We are going back to Florida for another family vacation soon.  The same vacation we had planned when I was pregnant with Blaine, the one we left for three days after.  Driving the same roads, staying at the same resort, shopping and eating at the same places.  A lot about that trip is a blur to me.  I look at the photos and I think I faked a smile pretty well.   I do remember certain things very vividly.  Mostly the sad moments.  I remember the bathroom stall at the pool that I used to go and cry in.  I remember sucking in my gut when I ordered a pina colado so that no one would think I was pregnant.  I remember how bad the cramps got while we were shopping, so bad I thought I was hemorraging.  I remember driving there and making a mental note of all the hospital signs we saw just in case something else happened.  What I remember the most was the sense that I had forgotten something.  When I packed, unpacked, when I walked into a room, when we drove somewhere.  I kept thinking to myself "what did I forget?" 
I have to admit, I'm incredibly nervous to go back.  I really didn't want to but hubby insisted on this vacation spot.  I'm afraid I'm going to be miserable going back there.  I was talking to my friend on the phone the other night and she said that she thought it would be good.  That I would be going back and creating good memories to replace the old.  I'm trying to look at it from that perspective.  I'm really scared though that it's just going to be another week of faking it.  Faking smiles to cover the fact that I am nauseaus and sad and angry.  Plus, we're going with my mom, my sister and law and her two kids.  Talk about stress! 

And then there's Blaine's birthday to contend with.  Obviously I will want to do something.  But what?  And how am I going to feel that day?  It's hard enough to plan a living child's birthday party! 
If you have read this far then you are a true friend!  lol   The problem with taking a break is that when you do write you have a lot to say! 

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I know, I can't believe it's been almost 2 years. I hope that your vacation goes well. I always find that the anticipation leading up to things that I know will bring back those memories are always worse, so hopefully that's the case for you and you are able to recreate some good memories of this trip as well. Hugs!

Dana said...

Wow, 2 years. It seems impossible. Remember at the beginning how next week seemed so far away?

I think there will be moments in the vacation that will suck and I don't know that having good memories this time will crowd out the old ones, but I think you will have a good time, most of the time. Abby and Caleb will make it happen. It's also true what Melissa said, the anticipation has almost always been worse than the actual event for me.

I hope that you can have some good times on the trip and Caleb always comes and smothers you with kisses when the sadness starts to take over.

I'll be thinking of you over the next 2 weeks, and especially on April 13th.

Holly said...

I'm hoping for you to have good moments on your vacation. I'm sure there'll be hard moments too but I hope overall the vacation will be one you can look back on and smile.

It is tough planning a birthday for a child not on earth.